www.ActionFigureComics.com Forum Index www.ActionFigureComics.com
Talk about the photo webcomics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HirstArts CastleMolds Help For a newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ActionFigureComics.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloudncali
Bold Hero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: HirstArts CastleMolds Help For a newbie Reply with quote

Hi, as you may be able to tell Iím new here so first let me say: to the creator of this web comic. You are the greatest. I love your comic and you are the one who inspired me to start my own comic. I donít expect it to ever be as great as yours but itís something to do.

ok, that said:
Iím looking for some advice for starting with that castle molds thingy it looks rilly nice in the comics and was wondering if I could have some help for a person wanting to start with it. Here are a few questions.

1) Is there any common art/normal stores that would carries the Molds cause I donít have a good experience with ordering stuff online OR.
2) Is there any where I can get them on a discount or sale because $34 per mold is kind of pricey for the high school student Rolling Eyes
3) Is there any tutorial sites good for the newbie ^_^
4) Is Plaster of paris ok (cause I heard its low quality), or is it so bad that is bad to use for any thing?
5) Any thing else you would like to tell me?

Thanks guys for the help ^_^
-cloudncali
DrNightmare
Timid Comfort Seeker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the molds aren't THAT pricey if you have a job since you're not paying rent or bills yet so all your money goes into making your comic Laughing

Ask your parents, friends, teachers for help ordering stuff online. Odds are at least one of them has bought stuff online before.

Comics are easy to make, the hard part is making the backgrounds (building/painting/setting up) and trying to get the lighting to be consistent throughout the comic (but if you buy a natural-light lamp you'll have greater control over lighting and will be able make comics anytime). Of course, you could always pay someone else to build/paint sets by doing their homework Wink

PoP is kinda yucky. I used it a few times at school and it isn't very good if you're going to build permanent sets or stuff that needs to be sturdy (like pillars or floors). It's best for temporary items like beerbottles, to break on each other's head, lol.

It's definately worth investing in props, though. People tend to get bored if you keep using the same backgrounds everytime (just look at my crappy comics Laughing ) Also, get a good digital camera so your comics are clear and crisp. Mine is only 3.2 megapixels and it gets the job done (for the most part anyway).
Cloudncali
Bold Hero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i uset to have a job untill i was laid off Crying or Very sad

my mom is going to bye them online

im strugleing to find a retailer that sell plaster at all let alone plaster of paris.

ya i found how much easyer it is to make a lego or actionfigure comic then to draw one Rolling Eyes

ya if you look at my vary first lego comics you can see that there is a soda can and stapler in the background lol.

im currently useing my moms digital camra but am probubly going to get one for x-mas.
you can find the link to my comic on my sig
Erik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cloud,

1. I don't know of any non-web stores that carry HirstArts.
2. No way to get discounts that I know of. It's was not cheap for me to get the materials, equipment, and action figures for PotB.
3. www.hirstarts.com has lots of tutorials for molding the bricks.
4. I wouldn't use PoP. I use dental plaster, and even that requires care in handling to prevent breakage.
5. Yes.

You could also use styrofoam for your sets. I just bought some tools from www.hotwirefoamfactory.com. The cavern walls in episodes 73 and 74 were made using these tools. The heroes will be going to a medieval town, and I was dreading how much plaster I would have to use to create one street using HirstArts bricks. So, I'm going to try to use styrofoam instead. It's lighter and cheaper. We'll see if it looks as good as HA bricks.

Good luck on your comic! And thanks for the kind words.
Timid Comfort Seeker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cloud, you don't have a sig Laughing
Cloudncali
Bold Hero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i have some more question(s) so i though i might reuse this thread

ok my mom agreed to let me barrow $34 for 1 mold so i have one and only one i can get for now:
i have desided to get the gothic dungeon instead of the basic blocks because is has some basic blocks with is and some other accessorys too
the down fall is that i can mass produce the basic blocks but i get other blocks insead.

my second question i saw the revew on the Hirstarts site that said that plaster/concrete mix was a good money saver?

i was thinking this might be the best on a vary slim buget

has any one else used this befor? if so was it good quaility?

thanks cloudncali

By cloudncali at 2007-07-24
My website:Everywhere at once
Erik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not used the PoP. But, if it's the cheapest, you can give it a try and see if it works for you. If it doesn't, you can always move up from there.
Bold Hero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Blu-ray to MP3 Reply with quote

Holeesoft Blu-ray Ripper is a powerful Blu-ray ripping software which allows you to rip blu ray to video formats & audio formats.
Article: rip blu ray to mp3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ActionFigureComics.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: