www.ActionFigureComics.com Forum Index www.ActionFigureComics.com
Talk about the photo webcomics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

races as often

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ActionFigureComics.com Forum Index -> Perils of the Bold
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lasky1994
Bold Hero

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: races as often Reply with quote

despite the time of year, the Yorkshire sun is fighting its way through the morning mist Nike Free 3.0 V3 Dames and – dare I say it – it’s definitely vest-only weather. No thermal tops or sweat-wicking rain jackets: today is a day for getting muddied up to the knees. And where better to do it than on the bleak moors of Bront? country in a fell race?

Fell running is in the bloodlines of the Nike Free 4.0 V2 Dames hills around here, part of the landscape. It has its roots in the old country shows punctuating the summer months across rural Britain, where gangs of young men (sometimes naked – really!) would race to the top of the nearest hill and back for the prize of, say, a slaughtered pig.

I started out as a spectator at an evening race 25 years ago up on the Pennines, in a rainswept field full of 200 runners laughing and joking. My dad had heard tell of fell running (in those pre-internet days, fell racers were akin to a secret society) and invited me along. Suddenly Nike Air Max 90 Womens Bluethe runners gathered, and with the blow of a whistle set off up the steepest of hills – off and out of sight. Forty-five minutes later, they re-emerged, tumbling down the fellside, muddied and breathless, looking like they’d been to the moon and back. I was hooked. I wanted to Nike Air Max 2017 Mujer have a go.This wasn’t running as I knew it, with training programmes, “personal bests” and the correct gear. This looked like a free-for-all: a do-it-yourself celebration of running in the countryside. The only running I’d done had been a marathon several years earlier – and this was different. I got talking to one of the racers and was invited out for a run a week or so later along the trails and paths that led out of my home city, Leeds, and into the countryside. It was a revelation – exhausting, yes, but also fascinating, adventurous and wonderfully strange.Adidas Zx 500 Herren

From then on, it was a five-times-a-week habit, with races as often as once a fortnight right through the year. Today, I’m here at the eastern edge of Haworth Moor, a bleak sweep up towards the Pennine ridge, together with a couple of hundred runners who are passionate about the Nike Free 5.0 V3 Heren races that thread their way up and down the hills, valleys and mountains. We are here to run the Withins Skyline race, a 7.5-mile challenge that winds across the wild moorland of Wuthering Heights.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ActionFigureComics.com Forum Index -> Perils of the Bold All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: