www.ActionFigureComics.com Forum Index www.ActionFigureComics.com
Talk about the photo webcomics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

d&d v4.0 announced.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ActionFigureComics.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aahz
Bold Hero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: d&d v4.0 announced. Reply with quote

http://www.icv2.com/articles/home/11123.html

Now with OnLine subscription only content. Bah.
droopy-99
Bold Hero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two gaming groups have been bouncing this news around all morning. While no one is "anticipating" ("dreading" is more like it), one person is trying to keep an open mind, that perhaps the rule system won't be too different and he can adapt the extraordinary amount of 3.5 material to 4.0.

Did we really need this? Don't more people have access to US Mail than to the internet, even overseas? Embracing the new up and coming gamers is fine, but who got D&D this far, and who's got the $? Is there no way serve both consumers?

And, coincidentally (perhaps), this news is released on the very day my last issue of Dragon is delivered in my mailbox. Crying or Very sad
Erik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

Announced changes are ambiguous or not that surprising:

- 30 levels in basic game, instead of 20. Big deal. I never really liked levels above 15.

- New Power Sources. What the heck does this mean?

- Changes in Resource Management. Are they talking about hit points, spells per day, ammunition, equipment? Who knows.

- New Encounter Design. Probably means using the system presented in Expedition to Ravenloft, where encounters are described more precisely.

- More Clearly Defined Monster Roles. Because, you know, I was always confused about what role goblins played.

- Online Subscription Only Content between $5.99 and $10 per month, probably. I probably won't subscribe unless it gets really good reviews.

Basically, this sounds like just another incremental version - fixes and tweaks. They even say the rule changes are evolutionary rather than revolutionary. More like a 3.7 than a 4.0. I think the main issue is that they're losing gamers to MMORPGs, etc., and this is their marketing effort to retake them. If their online voice chat gaming table is good, it might work.
Bold Hero

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wizards does recommend you begin new campaigns with Fourth Edition. Its not going to be as huge a jump, as from Second Edition to Third Edition, said Slavicsek, but theres enough changing in the core system of how we are doing classes and races and characters that were not even gonna attempt itwere just telling you its better to start over. Conversion went over like a lead balloon with Third Edition anyway.

This excerpt is from http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazine/inquest/005672645.cfm

With the mass of supplemental books they've put out in the last 2 years, that is an awful lot of re-writes, and of course more $ for WotC. No just the core books, but FR and Eb will have to be totally re-written too. In the end, no matter how painful it is, we'll all keep playing and spending, cause we love the game... <sigh>
Erik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, if we want to keep seeing the high-quality books for D&D, we must put up with new versions every few years. Hasbro exists to make money. If D&D doesn't make a bunch of cash, it gets cut. New versions bring in a ton of cash.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ActionFigureComics.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: